CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, September 28, 2007

A 261lb rant.

this is a fat girl rant.

If one more motherfucker tells me i "have a pretty face" I might smack somebody.

I don't have to tout national statistics about what percent of the U.S population is overweight or that the actual average women's dress size is a size 8/10 for you to know that the physical ideal that the "media" (I hate having to use words that remove personal accountability) presents is narrow (pun intended) and unrealistic.

This is nothing new.

But what has been really frustrating lately is realizing that so much of the "community", self-identifying "conscious" "feminist" lesbians (I use all these terms loosely), is still aligned with the patriarchal (what's a rant by leshaun without patriarchy in it somewhere) pathologization of women's bodies. It's time to truly de-colonize minds, completely.

I have a thing for cumbersome analogies so I'll try to illustrate why this shit bothers me so much. What If I only dated lighter-skinned people and went around saying "i gotta stay out of the sun. Can't get too black!".

Anyway, it's really late, and i'm very passionate about this subject because it affects me personally so i'm sure all of this obscenely incoherent.

riots not diets

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Odessa, your face is .....purteee. Is that better?